The information on this site is to be used for informational purposes only and is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional CPA or accountant advice. It is important to visit a highly specialized CPA firm in New York with top rated, best in class NYC accountants regarding creative ideas customized to your specific needs. Visit a leading Accounting firm in NYC and Queens, NY Miller & Company LLP. We are taking an exceptional individual care of each client.

How to Handle Taxes as a Part-Year Resident

If you’re fortunate enough to own properties in multiple states, you might be among a group of taxpayers known as part-year residents. Most commonly, these individuals will live in the northern part of the country during the summers, then spend their winters in the south to maximize their opportunity to enjoy the sunshine and warm weather.

How to Handle Taxes

While this may be an ideal lifestyle choice for some, handling your taxes can become complicated when you reside in more than one state throughout the tax year. Here are a few tips for determining your residency type and filing your taxes accordingly.

Determine your residency type and required tax forms

There are three major residency types and you’ll need to determine which applies to you in order to know how to file your tax return:

  1. Resident – Your residency is the location of where you live. You are a resident of a state if your intended main home resides in that state. For example, if you own a home in New York but stay in a vacation rental property in Connecticut for three months during the winter, you would only need to file taxes as a resident of New York State.
  2. Part-year resident – You become a part-year resident when you own property in different states, and you live in each one for part of the year. If you own homes in New York and Connecticut, and every year you split your time between the two states, you need to file as a part-year resident in each state.
  3. Non-resident – A non-resident is a person who makes income in a state but does not reside there. For example, many New Jersey residents commute to work in New York City. Because they make their income in New York but do not live there, they are considered non-residents. Similarly, if you live in New York and have a property in Connecticut that you rent to others (but do not occupy yourself), you would file a resident tax form for New York state and a non-resident tax form for Connecticut.

Many states have special forms to file non-resident taxes, though some use the same forms as full-year residents with certain provisions. Check your state’s tax website for more information on which forms you should be preparing.

Dividing your income

When you file part-year tax returns in multiple states, you’ll need to determine the total income you earned while living in each state.

If you work separate jobs in each state and receive a W-2 form from those in-state employers, it’s easy to separate your income and determine how much you’ve earned in each location. However, if you operate a business across state lines, own rental properties, or have another unique income situation, you’ll need to calculate how to allocate your income. There are two main methods for determining your income allocation:

If you have any unearned or passive income in a certain state, such as from stock sales or investments, you would attribute that income to the state you were living in when you received it.

Work with an experienced CPA

If you have property in multiple states and need help navigating the tax requirements for each, don’t try to handle it alone. Contact the experts at Miller & Company and schedule a consultation with the best rated accounting firm located in New York City, Washington, DC and Sarasota, FL to discuss your part-year resident tax questions and preparation needs.




Queens CPA Firm
Miller & Company LLP
Paul Miller, CPA (Queens Certified Public Accountants)
141-07 20th Ave, Suite 101
Whitestone, NY 11357

(718) 767-0737

Manhattan CPA Firm
Miller & Company LLP
Paul Miller, CPA (NYC Certified Public Accountants)
274 Madison Avenue, Suite 402
New York, NY 10016

(646) 865-1444
Stay Connected

Creative advice and outstanding performance

Expect a thorough commitment to excellence. Creative advice and outstanding performance — merged with relentless dedication and vigilant customer service — mean that your CPA responds quickly to requests and questions. Accounting experts are just a phone call away.

A full-service consulting and accounting firm in New York

“Nothing less than the best.” That’s what current and former clients say about Miller & Company. It’s that reputation for excellence that drives successful individuals and businesses to work with this team.

The financial expertise you’ll find at Miller & Company is unparalleled in the Manhattan and New York City areas. Your personal CPA gets to know who you are — identifying the objectives you have and the challenges you face. Then, using a wide range of innovative business strategies, you’ll receive breakthrough solutions that no other accountants thought possible.

Professionalism is more than certifications and degrees

Professionalism is more than certifications and degrees -- all of which you’ll find at Miller & Company. Professionalism at Miller & Company means you’re always treated with the respect you deserve. Professional CPAs embrace their commitment.

When you contact this New York City accounting team, you receive the most up-to-date information, the most innovative financial concepts and the best possible solutions. You get accountants honesty and integrity necessary to earn your trust. Your satisfaction is paramount.